From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:18:14
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 19 Aug 2011 23:08:06 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Gregory Woodbury wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> The initramfs is a container for modules and stuff need to bring up
7 >>> the system before the mounts of
8 >>> / and /boot. If all the drivers are built-in to the kernel (or at
9 >>> least the minimum required drivers are built-in)
10 >>> then the initramfs isn't necessary.
11 >>>
12 >>> Passing parameters to the kernel is a different issue entirely.
13 >>>
14 >>> My grub.conf line is:
15 >>> kernel /vmlinuz-3.0.3-gentoo root=/dev/sda2
16 >>>
17 >>> pata_it821x.noraid=1
18 >>>
19 >>> with the pata_it821x driver built-in for the kenel to find a set of
20 >>> older IDE drives on the IT8212 card I have installed.
21 >>>
22 >>> IIRC the initramfs is built with the mkinitrd command. I haven't had
23 >>> to use it so I could be wrong.
24 >>>
25 >> Update with new info. With udev needing some things in /usr, and /var,
26 >> you will need a init* if /usr and /var is not on / in the near future.
27 >> Yea, real neat. Some need it already just depends on what is installed
28 >> from what I read.
29 >>
30 > Give us a link please Dale.
31 >
32 > 2/3 of my boxen have both /usr and/var on separate partitions and I never had
33 > to use initramfs (other than boot splash - or whatever it happens to be called
34 > this month).
38 It was discussed on -dev so far. This is the subject line:
39
40 "Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs
41 in the handbook?"
42
43 I think it will apply to /var to at some point. I think it sucks. I
44 have /var on a separate partition and want to put /usr on one to but not
45 now.
46
47 I think it can be found on gmane.com. Again, it is on -dev and yes I
48 raised my objections to this but it is UPSTREAM from Gentoo. Dang
49 Fedora or something. ;-)
50
51 Dale
52