From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:05:51
1 On Friday 19 Aug 2011 23:08:06 Dale wrote:
2 > Gregory Woodbury wrote:
3 > > The initramfs is a container for modules and stuff need to bring up
4 > > the system before the mounts of
5 > > / and /boot. If all the drivers are built-in to the kernel (or at
6 > > least the minimum required drivers are built-in)
7 > > then the initramfs isn't necessary.
8 > >
9 > > Passing parameters to the kernel is a different issue entirely.
10 > >
11 > > My grub.conf line is:
12 > > kernel /vmlinuz-3.0.3-gentoo root=/dev/sda2
13 > >
14 > > pata_it821x.noraid=1
15 > >
16 > > with the pata_it821x driver built-in for the kenel to find a set of
17 > > older IDE drives on the IT8212 card I have installed.
18 > >
19 > > IIRC the initramfs is built with the mkinitrd command. I haven't had
20 > > to use it so I could be wrong.
21 >
22 > Update with new info. With udev needing some things in /usr, and /var,
23 > you will need a init* if /usr and /var is not on / in the near future.
24 > Yea, real neat. Some need it already just depends on what is installed
25 > from what I read.
26
27 Give us a link please Dale.
28
29 2/3 of my boxen have both /usr and/var on separate partitions and I never had
30 to use initramfs (other than boot splash - or whatever it happens to be called
31 this month).
34 Regards,
35 Mick