From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:09:42
1 Gregory Woodbury wrote:
2 >
3 > The initramfs is a container for modules and stuff need to bring up
4 > the system before the mounts of
5 > / and /boot. If all the drivers are built-in to the kernel (or at
6 > least the minimum required drivers are built-in)
7 > then the initramfs isn't necessary.
8 >
9 > Passing parameters to the kernel is a different issue entirely.
10 >
11 > My grub.conf line is:
12 >
13 > kernel /vmlinuz-3.0.3-gentoo root=/dev/sda2
14 > pata_it821x.noraid=1
15 >
16 > with the pata_it821x driver built-in for the kenel to find a set of
17 > older IDE drives on the IT8212 card I have installed.
18 >
19 > IIRC the initramfs is built with the mkinitrd command. I haven't had
20 > to use it so I could be wrong.
21
22 Update with new info. With udev needing some things in /usr, and /var,
23 you will need a init* if /usr and /var is not on / in the near future.
24 Yea, real neat. Some need it already just depends on what is installed
25 from what I read.
26
27 Dale
28