From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: dynamic deps, wtf are they exactly
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 10:55:44
1 On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 3:57 AM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Sure, but the portage team can really only dictate the upstream
5 >> defaults of portage, not tree policy.
6 >
7 > As I understand, they intend to remove non-dynamic deps
8 > (if they agreed to not implement it properly for sub-slots,
9 > this makes sense).
10 >
11 > So we are not speaking about defaults but a fixed behaviour of
12 > portage. Paludis had this fixed behaviour since ever.
13 > Thus, esssentially, there is no other choice than to adopt the
14 > necessary tree policy to the only existing implementations -
15 > not council decision is needed for it unless there are package
16 > managers which do it differently.
17
18 Like I said, we can either have a formal decision, or listen to
19 everybody fight WW3 over it for three years. What is the value in
20 doing the latter?
21
22 The fact that none of the package managers work with a tree practice
23 won't stop developers from doing it anyway. Plus, any of them can
24 just fork portage and put that in the tree - there is no policy that
25 states that there can be only one implementation of portage. Heck,
26 they could just follow the same upstream and patch it in the ebuild.
27
28 People seem to think that just going and imposing a change on
29 everybody else without their input somehow makes things more
30 efficient, or less political. The reality is that it just results in
31 more politics, since many will not accept the validity of their
32 actions. It also isn't how we do things around here. If you want to
33 change tree policy, propose it on a list, let everybody have their
34 say, and then if necessary let the council impose a decision. People
35 might not like the decision, but most devs will at least respect the
36 legitimacy of it. If they don't respect the decision they can be
37 booted, and the council will back that up.
38
39 This isn't about who is or isn't right, or whether the portage team
40 knows what they're doing. This is about having a process (GLEP 39)
41 and following it. The portage team can do whatever they want with
42 portage (after all, nobody has to use portage), but if they want to
43 change what everybody else is doing with their ebuilds they have to
44 follow the process.
47 Rich