From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dynamic deps, wtf are they exactly
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 07:57:54
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Sure, but the portage team can really only dictate the upstream
4 > defaults of portage, not tree policy.
5
6 As I understand, they intend to remove non-dynamic deps
7 (if they agreed to not implement it properly for sub-slots,
8 this makes sense).
9
10 So we are not speaking about defaults but a fixed behaviour of
11 portage. Paludis had this fixed behaviour since ever.
12 Thus, esssentially, there is no other choice than to adopt the
13 necessary tree policy to the only existing implementations -
14 not council decision is needed for it unless there are package
15 managers which do it differently.
16
17 Note that there can really be no exceptions. Even apparently
18 trivial changes in DEPS like adding an alternative implementation
19 *necessarily* require a revbump (because otherwise users who
20 installed the previous ebuild could possibly never get rid
21 of the original implementation).
22 We will see a flood of "unnecessary" revbumps, but people
23 knew this since the previous discussions.