From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 23:13:14
1 On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 10:56:52 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > In case you haven't noticed, since Windows 7 (or Vista, forget which)
5 > Microsoft has even went the distance of splitting between C:
6 > (analogous to /usr) and 'System Partition' (analogous to /). The boot
7 > process is actually handled by the 100ish MB 'System Partition'
8 > before being handed to C:. This will at least give SysAdmins a
9 > fighting chance of recovering a botched maintenance. (Note: Said
10 > behavior will only be visible if installing onto a clean hard disk.
11 > If there are partitions left over from previous Windows installs,
12 > Win7 will not create a separate 'System Partition') So, if Microsoft
13 > saw the light, why does Red Hat sunk into darkness instead?
16 I zone out of work-related stuff for three days to enjoy presents
17 instead, and look what happens to the thread :-)
18
19 I think I've said all I need to say on this matter, I'm not out to
20 prove any point really and don't have a dog in this fight. I might not
21 agree with how Lennart and RH are proceeding with implementation, but I
22 do agree with the generally stated engineering problem at the core of
23 the debate.
24
25 I'm not sure about Microsoft's motivations in what you describe. My
26 first reaction is that the Great Circle of IT Life is turning and
27 MS are trying something new for them. Whether it's applicable to us
28 here as an illustration remains to be seen - I know very little about
29 Windows so can't even begin to draw sensible parallels.
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com