From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 23:24:19
1 > From: Alan McKinnon [mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com]
2 > Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:08 PM
3 >
4 > On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 10:56:52 +0700
5 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 >
7 > > In case you haven't noticed, since Windows 7 (or Vista, forget which)
8 > > Microsoft has even went the distance of splitting between C:
9 > > (analogous to /usr) and 'System Partition' (analogous to /). The boot
10 > > process is actually handled by the 100ish MB 'System Partition'
11 > > before being handed to C:. This will at least give SysAdmins a
12 > > fighting chance of recovering a botched maintenance. (Note: Said
13 > > behavior will only be visible if installing onto a clean hard disk.
14 > > If there are partitions left over from previous Windows installs,
15 > > Win7 will not create a separate 'System Partition') So, if Microsoft
16 > > saw the light, why does Red Hat sunk into darkness instead?
19 > I'm not sure about Microsoft's motivations in what you describe. My first
20 > reaction is that the Great Circle of IT Life is turning and MS are trying
21 > something new for them. Whether it's applicable to us here as an
22 illustration
23 > remains to be seen - I know very little about Windows so can't even begin
25 > draw sensible parallels.
26
27 I know little about the history of UNIX before 1993, and the sum of my
28 experience with Linux is that I have never personally run into any case
29 where I had a single /+/usr and regretted it, but I *have* encountered
30 situations where I could not get /usr mounted and ended up merging it with
31 /. FWIW, YMMV, etc.
32
33 I can tell you that Pandu's analogy vis a vis Windows is a bit flawed. What
34 Windows has done recently is (by default for clean installs) to split the
35 boot loader and related bootstrap code into a separate partition from the
36 actual operating system. Claiming that this is analogous to / and /usr is
37 quite a stretch. It is much more accurate to make it analogous to / and
38 /boot. The System Partition has no "Windows" files on it, just the
39 equivalent to grub (and it's also used if you have BitLocker, to decrypt
40 your boot partition).
41
42 Which, to me, means it has absolutely nothing to do with the current
43 discussion one way or the other :)
44
45 --Mike