From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 02:24:25
1 On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:22:37 -0500
2 "Mike Edenfield" <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > I have never personally run into any case
5 > where I had a single /+/usr and regretted it, but I *have* encountered
6 > situations where I could not get /usr mounted and ended up merging it
7 > with /. FWIW, YMMV, etc.
8
9 And why was that, not udev? What is your point, others have avoided
10 regretting it by having a seperate /usr.
13 > I can tell you that Pandu's analogy vis a vis Windows is a bit
14 > flawed. What Windows has done recently is (by default for clean
15 > installs) to split the boot loader and related bootstrap code into a
16 > separate partition from the actual operating system. Claiming that
17 > this is analogous to / and /usr is quite a stretch. It is much more
18 > accurate to make it analogous to / and /boot. The System Partition
19 > has no "Windows" files on it, just the equivalent to grub (and it's
20 > also used if you have BitLocker, to decrypt your boot partition).
21 >
22 > Which, to me, means it has absolutely nothing to do with the current
23 > discussion one way or the other :)
24
25 He did define the fact that he mentioned it because he claimed the
26 repair tools are stored in a small seperate partition like / or root is
27 defined in the FHS which means he brought more to the discussion than
28 you just have.
29
30 In any case there are major benefits to having Windows with program
31 files on a seperate partition and you shouldn't be stopped from having a
32 seperate /usr without good reason and which there is not or if there is
33 good reason in a hidden agenda/future plan it has not been brought to
34 any discussion, note though that lies and mystery have. Broken
35 for years indeed, more like tiny issues that few care about and so
36 haven't been fixed by default.
37
38 I re-assert that eudevs mentioning of moving potentially less
39 stable/audited or even arbitrary code to later in the boot process is
40 also welcomed by me.