From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot find LILO
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 16:18:41
1 On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 3:35 PM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Friday, 2 April 2021 17:29:25 BST konsolebox wrote:
4 >
5 > > Your ARCH is set to i386 most likely. Maybe it's a CHOST configuration
6 > > issue.
7 >
8 > No, it isn't either of those. Nothing has changed between this kernel and
9 > others. Oddly, 'make install' works if I chroot into this system from, e.g., a
10 > rescue CD, just not natively.
11
12 Yes I just found out the value of ARCH doesn't really have anything to
13 do with it.
14
15 Your system might be missing /sbin/installkernel while you run 'make
16 install'. It's called by arch/x86/boot/install.sh if it exists and is
17 executable. Otherwise install.sh simply tries to install using LILO.
18 It's part of the sys-kernel/installkernel-gentoo package which may not
19 be installed for some reason, or the environment you run 'make
20 install' with is not Gentoo and /sbin/installkernel simply doesn't
21 exist there.
25 konsolebox