From: hw <hw@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: installing LTSP
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:49:59
1 James wrote:
2 > hw <hw <at> gc-24.de> writes:
5 >> I'm trying to set up an ltsp server. It seems
6 >> that one of the required packages is no longer
7 >> available:
8 >
9 > I never used ltsp so take what I say with a grain of salt....
10 >
11 > Look around the old code is out there. Find an old version that works
12 > and get that working. Then go to the ltsp upstream development site
13 > and get the latest stable release.
14
15 I think I can get something to work. I'd rather see ltsp in the
16 Gentoo repo rather than as an overlay, and I'd rather use the
17 overlay as is.
18
19 > Create your own ebuild so you not
20 > dependant for the devs to maintain what you like. Also, look around at
21 > the other gentoo-derivate OS and see if they have some ltsp hack of
22 > an ebuild lying around. The gentoo attics is your friend [2]
23
24 I don't know how to create packages, and I don't have endless amounts
25 of time. Looking at what Funtoo has might be a good idea, yet they
26 don't even have a mailing list. Otherwise I'd have tried it instead
27 of Gentoo ...
28
29 > You can usually find a way to build/install it, without using a gentoo
30 > ebuild, but that is not the preferred method.
31 > https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ltsp.xml:: has been removed, so the devs think
32 > it is useless or nobody wants to maintain it. If you really like that
33 > package, be the proxy maintainer once you repair/upgrade the associated
34 > ebuilds. Seen the proxy-maintainer project in the gentoo wiki for more detail.
35
36 It's not so much about 'liking' but about 'requiring'. I simply need it
37 to work last week ...
43 > hth,
44 > James
45 >