From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] startx Cannot open virtual console 7
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 17:35:39
1 On 27/10/2020 20:09, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:05:28AM -0400, Jack wrote
3 >
4 >> From one of your earlier posts, it looks like tty0-tty9 all exist. My
5 >> guess is that getty was launched on all of them. Since that is owned
6 >> by root (until someone logs in) you certainly don't have permission
7 >> to use it for X. I'm not sure where the list of vts on which to spawn
8 >> getty is controlled, but that's what I'd look for.
9 >
10 > On my non-systemd machine, it's /etc/inittab, with the lines below the
11 > comment line...
12 >
13 > # TERMINALS
14 >
15 I've got memories that you should launch getty on 1 to 6, and I don't
16 know whether you declare how many exist, but you tell X to grab the next
17 available.
18
19 I'm pretty certain if I do a <ctrl><alt><F8> and I haven't launched a
20 second user, it just comes up with a blank screen, not a login prompt.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol