From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] startx Cannot open virtual console 7
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 20:09:24
1 On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:05:28AM -0400, Jack wrote
2
3 > From one of your earlier posts, it looks like tty0-tty9 all exist. My
4 > guess is that getty was launched on all of them. Since that is owned
5 > by root (until someone logs in) you certainly don't have permission
6 > to use it for X. I'm not sure where the list of vts on which to spawn
7 > getty is controlled, but that's what I'd look for.
8
9 On my non-systemd machine, it's /etc/inittab, with the lines below the
10 comment line...
11
12 # TERMINALS
15 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
16 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications