From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [OT] Ubuntu isn't the devil (was: Re: [gentoo-user] Again: Critical bugs considered invalid)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 22:40:25
1 On Friday 08 June 2007, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user]
3 Again: Critical bugs considered invalid':
4 > On Samstag, 9. Juni 2007, b.n. wrote:
5 > > Kent Fredric ha scritto:
6 > > > On 6/8/07, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > ( probably releated to it being a
8 > > > generally harder distro to use that *cough* ewwbuntu *cough*
9 > > > unlinspired *cough* or *cough* deadrat *cough* )
10 > >
11 > > OT: Ubuntu distros (Kubuntu, expecially) are really, really shiny and
12 > > slick pieces of software. I just installed Kubuntu 7.04 at work and
13 > > it's the more polished, ready-to-go, easy to use Linux distro I've
14 > > ever seen. I use Gentoo on my home desktop for various reasons and
15 > > because I have different needs, but the Linux community has only to
16 > > learn from the Ubuntus.
17 >
18 > what to learn? How to make kcontrol worse?
19
20 I think many find ksystemsettings to be better a better interface than
21 kcontrol. I don't, so I just use kcontrol. It is a little stupid that
22 they don't install the desktop icon for it, but it's trivial to fix.
23
24 > The slowest boot of all
25 > times?
26
27 My Gentoo boots more slowly, but that's probably related to the large delay
28 mounting a 3TiB reiserfs. Ubuntu can also be very quick to boot *if* all
29 files read on startup fit into system ram throughout the startup sequence,
30 on my laptop this isn't the case, so my booting is somewhat delayed.
31
32 > A braindead installer?
33
34 How exactly is it braindead? I've used it multiple times and while it's
35 error handling could be better, it's allowed me to do all the setup I need
36 before the install starts and generally gets me run-and-running much
37 faster and Gentoo.
38
39 > A patched-to-death kpdf?
40
41 Yeah, ubuntu patches KDE left and right and it's a bit annoying, especially
42 when they reduce usability for no good reason. E.g. the search toolbar
43 forces the cursor to the end of it's contents from time to time, and
44 doesn't properly submit searches with parenthesis in them -- both issues
45 make the search bar on Gentoo much better.
46
47 > Yes, there is something to learn from the ubuntus. Like: don't make
48 > their mistakes.
49
50 Their "mistakes" made them the most popular linux distribution in a
51 incredibly small amount of time. Their "mistakes" continue to drive user
52 and developers toward the project in flocks. Their "mistakes" lead to
53 Dell shipping home systems with Ubuntu pre-installed.
54
55 I love Gentoo. I love Debian. I still think Ubuntu does some things
56 better and some things worse. On my laptop, I'd prefer not to configure
57 anything -- and Ubuntu provides a usable system with no hassles. Servers
58 @ work -- Debian. Desktop @ home -- Gentoo. I don't think I'd change any
59 of them.
60
61 > Or: there is a difference between userfriendly and made
62 > for idiots.
63
64 Ubuntu being neither. ;)
67 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
68 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
69 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
70 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/