From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How much patching is good for an distro ? (WAS: Ubuntu isn't the devil)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:58:02
1 * Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 Hi folks,
4
5 > > A patched-to-death kpdf?
6 >
7 > Yeah, ubuntu patches KDE left and right and it's a bit annoying, especially
8
9 This raises the question how much patching is good for an distro.
10
11 As far as I understood Gentoo's policies, ports should stay as close
12 as possible to the upstream. In fact in some ebuilds much magic is
13 happening to get around really broken upstream (ie. netqmail).
14
15 I understand that policy, but IMHO it doesn't go far enough.
16
17 My ideal would be:
18
19 * The distro should not contain any broken package. If it does not
20 run out of the box and requires additional packages, I'd consider
21 it as broken.
22 * An package must provide all customizability which is required
23 for that distro (ie. specifying pathes, DESTDIR installing,
24 switching features, etc). Otherwise: broken.
25 * The buildsystem must be clean and easy to use. The necessary
26 steps (unpacking/preparing the sourcetree, configuring, compiling,
27 installing) must be doable with just an command line, without
28 any additional logic required. Otherise: broken
29 * Builds have to be deterministic. No hidden and unnecessary deps.
30 And crosscompiling must be possible w/o any code changes.
31 Otherwise: broken.
32
33 Okay, these are really hard constraints (which have been proven in
34 my embedded works), BUT:
35
36 * If an package is broken and upstream release an really fixed version
37 within reasonable time, we simply fork off an "stabelized" branch.
38 * That branch is normally provided by an single patch against the
39 upstream release.
40 * Fixes here are done generic, not distro specific.
41 * The forks are maintained in an separate project, independent from
42 distros, but working close to them.
43 * This project also works close to the upstream and also tries to
44 get the fixes in.
45
46 Actually that's what my OSS-QM project is all about.
47 (ugh, just seen the wiki's still offline after I rebuild my server,
48 so I'll post the link once I got it up again ;-O)
49
50 BTW: the OSS-QM project works very close to the CSDB.
51 (http://sourcefarm.metuxde/)
54 cu
55 --
57 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
59 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
60 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
61 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
62 http://patches.metux.de/
64 --
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list