From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:09:05
1 On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:56:51 +0200
2 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Samstag, 7. Juli 2007, Thufir wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:47:24 -0700, kashani wrote:
6 > > > I say bring on the easiness. Make a big fat button after
7 > > > the
8 > >
9 > > liveCD
10 > >
11 > > > loads that says "Just install it for me in a nice default kinda
12 > > > way so I can start playing with this whole USE flag thing I've
13 > > > heard so much about" and be done with it.
14 > >
15 > > The irony here is that gentoo has had the live cd for a long time
16 > > which makes installing so much easier, but just won't go that extra
17 > > step because...it's supposed to be hard? If it's "supposed" to be
18 > > hard, why have the live cd? seems contrary.
21 > well, hard filters out the 'I am stupid and I don't read
22 > documentation' crowd, which is a good thing. I would not call the
23 > installation via graphical installer 'hard', I would call it 'buggy
24 > beyond usefullness'.
25 >
26 > Apart from that, IMHO a livecd is completly braindead. When compiling
27 > you need as much free ram as you can get. Every mb counts. And a
28 > livecd takes away A LOT of ram. Even more stupid - a livecd with
29 > gnome (which is the DE with the biggest ram usage).
30 >
31 > So we have a livecd, which is stupid in itself, for installing and a
32 > buggy installer - only because to prevent some idiots from reading
33 > the documentation.
34 >
35 > Is that really smart?
36 If your goal is,
37
38 "We produce Gentoo Linux, a special flavor of Linux that can be
39 automatically optimized and customized for just about any application
40 or need. Extreme performance, configurability and a top-notch user and
41 developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience. "
42
43 I think it's very smart to produce both a livecd and a minimal.
44
45 Oh and by the way, I agree with all your points wholeheartedly. But I
46 think getting rid of the livecd (or not putting substantial efforts
47 into its betterment) would be a move in the wrong direction.
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list