From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 11:04:12
1 On Samstag, 7. Juli 2007, Thufir wrote:
2 > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:47:24 -0700, kashani wrote:
3 > > I say bring on the easiness. Make a big fat button after the
4 >
5 > liveCD
6 >
7 > > loads that says "Just install it for me in a nice default kinda way so I
8 > > can start playing with this whole USE flag thing I've heard so much
9 > > about" and be done with it.
10 >
11 > The irony here is that gentoo has had the live cd for a long time which
12 > makes installing so much easier, but just won't go that extra step
13 > because...it's supposed to be hard? If it's "supposed" to be hard, why
14 > have the live cd? seems contrary.
17 well, hard filters out the 'I am stupid and I don't read documentation' crowd,
18 which is a good thing. I would not call the installation via graphical
19 installer 'hard', I would call it 'buggy beyond usefullness'.
20
21 Apart from that, IMHO a livecd is completly braindead. When compiling you need
22 as much free ram as you can get. Every mb counts. And a livecd takes away A
23 LOT of ram. Even more stupid - a livecd with gnome (which is the DE with the
24 biggest ram usage).
25
26 So we have a livecd, which is stupid in itself, for installing and a buggy
27 installer - only because to prevent some idiots from reading the
28 documentation.
29
30 Is that really smart?
31 --