From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 20:44:38
1 On 7/7/07, Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Samstag, 7. Juli 2007, Thufir wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:47:24 -0700, kashani wrote:
4 > > > I say bring on the easiness. Make a big fat button after the
5 > >
6 > > liveCD
7 > >
8 > > > loads that says "Just install it for me in a nice default kinda way so I
9 > > > can start playing with this whole USE flag thing I've heard so much
10 > > > about" and be done with it.
11 > >
12 > > The irony here is that gentoo has had the live cd for a long time which
13 > > makes installing so much easier, but just won't go that extra step
14 > > because...it's supposed to be hard? If it's "supposed" to be hard, why
15 > > have the live cd? seems contrary.
18 > well, hard filters out the 'I am stupid and I don't read documentation' crowd,
19 > which is a good thing. I would not call the installation via graphical
20 > installer 'hard', I would call it 'buggy beyond usefullness'.
21 >
22 > Apart from that, IMHO a livecd is completly braindead. When compiling you need
23 > as much free ram as you can get. Every mb counts. And a livecd takes away A
24 > LOT of ram. Even more stupid - a livecd with gnome (which is the DE with the
25 > biggest ram usage).
26 >
27 > So we have a livecd, which is stupid in itself, for installing and a buggy
28 > installer - only because to prevent some idiots from reading the
29 > documentation.
30 >
31 > Is that really smart?
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
37 Minor positive note: if you have no desktop installed and want do do
38 something /practical/ while those hours of initial compile happen,
39 such as check your mail, surf the net, etc, its at least good for
40 that. No other OS really lets you use the system like that while you
41 wait for install, and listening to music while installing gives
42 brownie points from friends :)
43 --
44 Kent
45 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
46 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
47 --
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list