From: "Florian Gamböck" <ml@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netifrc, configure by SSID and MAC simultaneously?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 12:22:34
1 On 2017-04-19 12:17, Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 19 Apr 2017 12:46:09 Florian Gamböck wrote:
3 >> On 2017-04-18 20:41, Mick wrote:
4 >>> Assuming you have access to your home's router, you can configure on
5 >>> it a static IP address for the MAC address of the Raspi.
6 >>
7 >> That's what I've been doing in the past, but my Cisco router had
8 >> problems with that. It tried to give away addresses I have
9 >> specifically reserved and it ended up cutting the connections and
10 >> refusing to let new machines connect as long as there was a conflict.
11 >
12 > Hmm ... I never had this experience with Cisco IOS. It may be worth
13 > updating the router and WAP firmware in case this was due to a bug.
14 > The router should never allocate IP addresses from its reserved IP
15 > address table, although it will not be able to stop PCs using these
16 > addresses themselves if they were manually configured so.
17
18 I got this pre-configured router from my internet provider and I have
19 *very* limited access to the configuration. I have no telnet and no ssh,
20 as far as I can tell. For example, when I want to change my wifi
21 configuration, I have to do that online on my provider's website, which
22 obviously triggers some kind of over-the-air update to my router. After
23 an automatic restart, the new (readonly) configuration shows up on my
24 router.
25
26 However, I *do* have access to the LAN configuration, including DHCP
27 range and the like. And yes, you are right, if I reserve addresses, the
28 router *should* not give these addresses away to other machines. I
29 shouted at the router and telling her that, but she wouldn't listen.
30
31 And if it is really a problem with the clients, then multiple Linux
32 machines, multiple Android devices, Sony's PlayStation 4, and a lonely
33 Windows laptop all share the same bug, namely wanting to have the same
34 IP address via DHCP and failing to obtain another one.
35
36 If I don't reserve addresses from DHCP range and use statically
37 configured addresses outside the range with some computers, then there
38 is no problem with DHCP and the other machines that connect.
39
40 So I take this fact as my baseline and work from there.
41
42 >> Besides, I like having configuration files on my computers, which I
43 >> can exchange and adjust as I like, without the need to click through
44 >> heavily overloaded router configuration WebApps.
45 >
46 > If it is a Cisco running IOS there should be SSH access to run CLI
47 > commands for it. If however it is a Cisco-branded cheap appliance,
48 > then it would probably not have any relationship with IOS, but it may
49 > be able to run OpenWRT or equivalent on its SoC.
50
51 No SSH, no possibility to replace the firmware, no other way to connect
52 to the internet. Sorry.
53
54 > Have a look at the documentation provided by netifrc, it is well
55 > commented with detailed examples:
56 >
57 > less /usr/share/doc/netifrc-0.5.1/net.example.bz2
58
59 I did multiple times, but obviously this specific syntax didn't reach my
60 mind. Thanks again!
63 Kind regards
64
65 Flo