From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] New printer setup - having trouble with CUPS
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:59:23
1 Hi,
2 My wife picked up a new printer on the cheap. It's an Epson and
3 pretty much identical to one on my son's old Fedora system so I am
4 sure it should work. However so far I cannot get CUPS to make it
5 print.
6
7 1) I've plugged it in to a USB port. It's visible using usbview.
8
9 2) I tried configuring it as a new printer within CUPS. I called it a
10 USB printer and chose USB Printer #1.
11
12 3) I picked out the Epson Stylus stuff and CUPS said everythign was cool.
13
14 4) When I look at printer status I see that the printer is there. It
15 says the printer is ready to print and its address usb:/dev/usb/lp0.
16 However when I unplug the USB cable and refresh the browser it doesn't
17 show as being not ready.
18
19 I tried printing a test page. The print job happens and the system
20 says it's completed but no test page comes out.
21
22 What obvious thing am I missing about this?
23
24 Thanks,
25 Mark
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list