From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and NetworkManager
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:10:00
1 On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@××××××.hu>wrote:
2
3 > On 15 July 2013 21:08, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > >> On 15/07/2013 18:44, András Csányi wrote:
7 > >>> Hi All,
8 > >>>
9 > >>> I would like to get some help regarding networkmanager and KDE.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> I have installed the networkmanager package on my machine and I also
12 > >>> have networkmanagement kde application installed. My problem is that
13 > >>> as a user I'm not able to abb network connection using network manager
14 > >>> in kde. There is no way to run this application as root and I'm not
15 > >>> able to login as root into KDE.
16 > >
17 > > Is your user included in the plugdev group, as the networkmanager
18 > > ebuild recommends?
19 >
20 > No. It was not part of that group. The install was a part of a bigger
21 > set of packages and I haven't read the output. It is my bad. on the
22 > other hand, the tutorial why does not mention about anything?
25 The ebuild says it:
26
27 src_prepare() {
28 DOC_CONTENTS="To modify system network connections without needing
29 to enter the
30 root password, add your user account to the 'plugdev'
31 group."
32
33 When you install it, a message appears with that text.
36 > I added the the user to that group and the wicd working well. I
37 > dropped networkmanager as far as it was possible. It is part of the
38 > unity environment.
41 Actually is part of GNOME, like pretty much everything behind the curtains
42 in Unity.
45 > >>> At the moment I don't have any network connection on that machine. If
46 > >>> I want it then I have to remove networkmanager package and let the
47 > >>> rc-process to handle the networks.
48 > >>>
49 > >>> Is there a place where that is described how possible to solve this
50 > >>> issue? Is there a tutorial about networkmanager where the
51 > >>> configuration is described or something like this? What right is
52 > >>> needed or something? I have googled a few hours but I haven't found
53 > >>> anything.
54 > >
55 > > Again, try adding your user to the plugdev group.
56 > >
57 > >>> I appreciate your help!
58 > >>
59 > >>
60 > >> unmerge nm and everything associated with it.
61 > >> Comment out all lines in /etc/conf.d/net
62 > >>
63 > >> emerge wicd with the USE flags of your choice.
64 > >>
65 > >> All your problems will instantly go away, stay away, and wicd will do
66 > >> the right thing always for networking. I promise.
67 > >
68 > > If the problem is that the user is not in the plugdev group, it will
69 > > also happen with wicd, which makes this one of the worsts pieces of
70 > > advice I have seen in this list. Which is a lot to say.
71 >
72 > Yes, it happened the same with wicd as well. After I added the user to
73 > the plugdev group everything is working fine.
76 Thought so.
79 > >> networkmanager is a horribly broken piece of shit that per user reports
80 > >> never seems to actually work for people.
81 > >
82 > > It works for me. In all kind of networks in several continents, with
83 > > all kind of WEP, WPA, and WPA2 networks, connecting through my
84 > > cellphone and obviously with ethernet too.
85 > >
86 > > Funny you said that Alan, when was the last time you heard about a
87 > > problem with NM in the list? I count less than 20 mails *mentioning*
88 > > NM in the list in 2013, and none of them are (IIRC) direct problems
89 > > with NM.
90 > >
91 > >> You should not use software like that.
92 > >
93 > > You should do a little more research before saying something like that
94 > > about a piece of software that just works most of the time.
95 >
96 > I understand Alan feelings. The strange is that Ubuntu use wicd. I
97 > don't know whether by default or not.
100 I didn't knew Unity used wicd. Glad to hear it worked.
101
102 Regards.
103 --
104 Canek Peláez Valdés