From: "András Csányi" <sayusi.ando@××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and NetworkManager
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:59:20
1 On 15 July 2013 21:08, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 15/07/2013 18:44, András Csányi wrote:
4 >>> Hi All,
5 >>>
6 >>> I would like to get some help regarding networkmanager and KDE.
7 >>>
8 >>> I have installed the networkmanager package on my machine and I also
9 >>> have networkmanagement kde application installed. My problem is that
10 >>> as a user I'm not able to abb network connection using network manager
11 >>> in kde. There is no way to run this application as root and I'm not
12 >>> able to login as root into KDE.
13 >
14 > Is your user included in the plugdev group, as the networkmanager
15 > ebuild recommends?
16
17 No. It was not part of that group. The install was a part of a bigger
18 set of packages and I haven't read the output. It is my bad. on the
19 other hand, the tutorial why does not mention about anything?
20
21 I added the the user to that group and the wicd working well. I
22 dropped networkmanager as far as it was possible. It is part of the
23 unity environment.
24
25 >>> At the moment I don't have any network connection on that machine. If
26 >>> I want it then I have to remove networkmanager package and let the
27 >>> rc-process to handle the networks.
28 >>>
29 >>> Is there a place where that is described how possible to solve this
30 >>> issue? Is there a tutorial about networkmanager where the
31 >>> configuration is described or something like this? What right is
32 >>> needed or something? I have googled a few hours but I haven't found
33 >>> anything.
34 >
35 > Again, try adding your user to the plugdev group.
36 >
37 >>> I appreciate your help!
40 >> unmerge nm and everything associated with it.
41 >> Comment out all lines in /etc/conf.d/net
42 >>
43 >> emerge wicd with the USE flags of your choice.
44 >>
45 >> All your problems will instantly go away, stay away, and wicd will do
46 >> the right thing always for networking. I promise.
47 >
48 > If the problem is that the user is not in the plugdev group, it will
49 > also happen with wicd, which makes this one of the worsts pieces of
50 > advice I have seen in this list. Which is a lot to say.
51
52 Yes, it happened the same with wicd as well. After I added the user to
53 the plugdev group everything is working fine.
54
55 >> networkmanager is a horribly broken piece of shit that per user reports
56 >> never seems to actually work for people.
57 >
58 > It works for me. In all kind of networks in several continents, with
59 > all kind of WEP, WPA, and WPA2 networks, connecting through my
60 > cellphone and obviously with ethernet too.
61 >
62 > Funny you said that Alan, when was the last time you heard about a
63 > problem with NM in the list? I count less than 20 mails *mentioning*
64 > NM in the list in 2013, and none of them are (IIRC) direct problems
65 > with NM.
66 >
67 >> You should not use software like that.
68 >
69 > You should do a little more research before saying something like that
70 > about a piece of software that just works most of the time.
71
72 I understand Alan feelings. The strange is that Ubuntu use wicd. I
73 don't know whether by default or not.
77 -- Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando) -- http://sayusi.hu --
78 http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
79 -- ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell