From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and NetworkManager
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:08:43
1 On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 15/07/2013 18:44, András Csányi wrote:
3 >> Hi All,
4 >>
5 >> I would like to get some help regarding networkmanager and KDE.
6 >>
7 >> I have installed the networkmanager package on my machine and I also
8 >> have networkmanagement kde application installed. My problem is that
9 >> as a user I'm not able to abb network connection using network manager
10 >> in kde. There is no way to run this application as root and I'm not
11 >> able to login as root into KDE.
12
13 Is your user included in the plugdev group, as the networkmanager
14 ebuild recommends?
15
16 >> At the moment I don't have any network connection on that machine. If
17 >> I want it then I have to remove networkmanager package and let the
18 >> rc-process to handle the networks.
19 >>
20 >> Is there a place where that is described how possible to solve this
21 >> issue? Is there a tutorial about networkmanager where the
22 >> configuration is described or something like this? What right is
23 >> needed or something? I have googled a few hours but I haven't found
24 >> anything.
25
26 Again, try adding your user to the plugdev group.
27
28 >> I appreciate your help!
31 > unmerge nm and everything associated with it.
32 > Comment out all lines in /etc/conf.d/net
33 >
34 > emerge wicd with the USE flags of your choice.
35 >
36 > All your problems will instantly go away, stay away, and wicd will do
37 > the right thing always for networking. I promise.
38
39 If the problem is that the user is not in the plugdev group, it will
40 also happen with wicd, which makes this one of the worsts pieces of
41 advice I have seen in this list. Which is a lot to say.
42
43 > networkmanager is a horribly broken piece of shit that per user reports
44 > never seems to actually work for people.
45
46 It works for me. In all kind of networks in several continents, with
47 all kind of WEP, WPA, and WPA2 networks, connecting through my
48 cellphone and obviously with ethernet too.
49
50 Funny you said that Alan, when was the last time you heard about a
51 problem with NM in the list? I count less than 20 mails *mentioning*
52 NM in the list in 2013, and none of them are (IIRC) direct problems
53 with NM.
54
55 > You should not use software like that.
56
57 You should do a little more research before saying something like that
58 about a piece of software that just works most of the time.
59
60 Regards.
61 --
62 Canek Peláez Valdés