From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and NetworkManager
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:16:40
1 * Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> [130715 15:09]:
2 > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > unmerge nm and everything associated with it.
4 > > Comment out all lines in /etc/conf.d/net
5 > >
6 > > emerge wicd with the USE flags of your choice.
7 > >
8 > > All your problems will instantly go away, stay away, and wicd will do
9 > > the right thing always for networking. I promise.
10 >
11 > If the problem is that the user is not in the plugdev group, it will
12 > also happen with wicd, which makes this one of the worsts pieces of
13 > advice I have seen in this list. Which is a lot to say.
14
15 Hardly
18 > > networkmanager is a horribly broken piece of shit that per user reports
19 > > never seems to actually work for people.
20 >
21 > It works for me. In all kind of networks in several continents, with
22 > all kind of WEP, WPA, and WPA2 networks, connecting through my
23 > cellphone and obviously with ethernet too.
24
25 It seems to work for very simple network setups that don't change often.
28 > Funny you said that Alan, when was the last time you heard about a
29 > problem with NM in the list? I count less than 20 mails *mentioning*
30 > NM in the list in 2013, and none of them are (IIRC) direct problems
31 > with NM.
32
33 Most of us who have found out how horrible NM is have stopped using it
34 long ago so you don't see us posting with problems.
37 > > You should not use software like that.
38 >
39 > You should do a little more research before saying something like that
40 > about a piece of software that just works most of the time.
41
42 As long as we're telling people what to do I'll tell you to step out
43 of your ivory tower once in a while to get a broader picture of the
44 world.
45
46 Todd