From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and NetworkManager
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:31:21
1 On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 08:16:23AM -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:
2 > * Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> [130715 15:09]:
3 > > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > unmerge nm and everything associated with it.
5 > > > Comment out all lines in /etc/conf.d/net
6 > > >
7 > > > emerge wicd with the USE flags of your choice.
8 > > >
9 > > > All your problems will instantly go away, stay away, and wicd will do
10 > > > the right thing always for networking. I promise.
11 > >
12 > > If the problem is that the user is not in the plugdev group, it will
13 > > also happen with wicd, which makes this one of the worsts pieces of
14 > > advice I have seen in this list. Which is a lot to say.
15 >
16 > Hardly
19 > > > networkmanager is a horribly broken piece of shit that per user reports
20 > > > never seems to actually work for people.
21 > >
22 > > It works for me. In all kind of networks in several continents, with
23 > > all kind of WEP, WPA, and WPA2 networks, connecting through my
24 > > cellphone and obviously with ethernet too.
25 >
26 > It seems to work for very simple network setups that don't change often.
29 > > Funny you said that Alan, when was the last time you heard about a
30 > > problem with NM in the list? I count less than 20 mails *mentioning*
31 > > NM in the list in 2013, and none of them are (IIRC) direct problems
32 > > with NM.
33 >
34 > Most of us who have found out how horrible NM is have stopped using it
35 > long ago so you don't see us posting with problems.
38 > > > You should not use software like that.
39 > >
40 > > You should do a little more research before saying something like that
41 > > about a piece of software that just works most of the time.
42 >
43 > As long as we're telling people what to do I'll tell you to step out
44 > of your ivory tower once in a while to get a broader picture of the
45 > world.
46 >
47 > Todd
48
49 ack!
50 --
51 Happy Penguin Computers >')
52 126 Fenco Drive ( \
53 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
55 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
56 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
57
58 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
59 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
60 A: Top-posting.
61 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
62
63 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting