From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia update problems
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 21:07:22
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 12:36 on Saturday 01 January 2011, Peter
2 Humphrey did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Friday 31 December 2010 21:00:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 31 December 2010,
6 > >
7 > > walt did opine thusly:
8 > > > So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you
9 > > > probably have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and
10 > > > the wrong one gets loaded automatically at boot time. Re-emerging
11 > > > nvidia-drivers will build *and* load the correct kernel module
12 > > > each time you do it.
13 > > >
14 > > > May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.
15 >
16 > I didn't think I'd ever run the nVidia installation program, and on
17 > checking I see one nvidia.ko for each kernel version I have installed,
18 > so that isn't the problem.
19 >
20 > > module-rebuild takes care of all that nicely.
21 >
22 > And it wants to rebuild the module again, even though I only remerged it
23 > yesterday.
24 >
25 > Something is messing about with the nVidia module.
26
27 That's how module-rebuild works, it's not broken. It *will* rebuild
28 everything.
29
30 It can't rely on the normal version numbers and USE flags to know if something
31 needs updating, as the problem it is designed to solve is when you do a kernel
32 upgrade and leave yourself without the out-of-tree modules you need in that
33 new kernel version. If you use nvidia version X, then you need the version X
34 kernel modules in every /lib/modules/<kernel>/ you use.
35
36 So it just rebuilds everything every time.
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com