From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia update problems
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:30:32
1 On Friday 31 December 2010 21:00:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 31 December 2010,
3 > walt did opine thusly:
4 > > So, if you've ever run the NVIDIA install program manually, you
5 > > probably have two different nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules, and
6 > > the wrong one gets loaded automatically at boot time. Re-emerging
7 > > nvidia-drivers will build *and* load the correct kernel module
8 > > each time you do it.
9 > >
10 > > May not be your problem but it's easy to check, at least.
11
12 I didn't think I'd ever run the nVidia installation program, and on
13 checking I see one nvidia.ko for each kernel version I have installed,
14 so that isn't the problem.
15
16 > module-rebuild takes care of all that nicely.
17
18 And it wants to rebuild the module again, even though I only remerged it
19 yesterday.
20
21 Something is messing about with the nVidia module.
22
23 Thanks for the ideas, gents.
26 Rgds
27 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.