From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IOMMU and other oddities...
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:57:59
1 Am Dienstag 09 August 2011, 07:32:34 schrieb meino.cramer@×××.de:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > my PC consists -- beside other things -- of a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T,
5 > a ASUS Crossfire Formula IV and a NVidia GeForce GT 430 by MSI (PCIe).
6 > Furthermore I am using the vanilla Linux kernel 3.0.1. .
7 >
8 > I browsed through the output of dmesg and found these lines:
9 >
10 > Checking aperture...
11 > No AGP bridge found
12 > Node 0: aperture @ c4000000 size 32 MB
13 > Aperture pointing to e820 RAM. Ignoring.
14 > Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
15 > Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
16 > This costs you 64 MB of RAM
17 > Mapping aperture over 65536 KB of RAM @ c4000000
18 >
19 > The kernel is not configured with any AGP-related (as far as I now)
20 > feature/config.
21 >
22 > Why does it look for an AGP-bridge???
23 >
24 > The dmesg says I should switch on IOMMU, which I did. But that does
25 > not impress the kernel that much since it still recommends to switch
26 > on IOMMU.
27 >
28 > What did I wrong here ?
29 >
30 > I want to fix issues, which may be reported by dmesg, so:
31 > Where can I find explanations to the dmesg output?
32 >
33 > For your information I attached the compressed dmesg output
34 > to this mail.
35 >
36 > Thank you very much for your help in advance!
37 > Best regards
38 > mcc
39
40 see also this: