From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:13:42
1 On Mar 14, 2012 10:20 PM, "Alan Mackenzie" <acm@×××.de> wrote:
4 ---- >8 snippage
7 > Walter is, I believe, mistaken here. I can mount and use my LVM2
8 > partitions. Gnome looks like it comes up OK, but that could be moot,
9 > since right now I haven't got keyboard/mouse drivers under the X server.
12 This post here:
13
14 http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2011-September/076662.html
15
16 seems to indicate that Xorg communicates with udev (something mdev can't
17 do, because that would increase the complexity of mdev by several orders of
18 magnitude).
19
20 BUT, in the same message, it is stated that Xorg *can* be compiled to *not*
21 try to communicate with udev.
22
23 I suspect a similar situation with Gnome.
24
25 > > I will not be surprised if in the future the list of programs "not for
26 > > mdev" only grows.
27 >
28 > There's a difference between "needed by portage" and "doesn't work under
29 > mdev". As I say, it will all be moot if the evdev driver won't work
30 > under mdev.
33 Do packages *actually* need udev's (over)features (read: bloat), or is it
34 just the maintainers depend-ing on sys-fs/udev instead of
35 virtual/device-manager ?
36
37 For lots of packages claiming they depend on udev, I suspect it's the
38 latter situation.
39
40 Rgds,