From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:03:09
1 From: Pandu Poluan [mailto:pandu@××××××.info]
2 Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:13 PM
3
4 > BUT, in the same message, it is stated that Xorg *can* be compiled to *not* try to communicate with udev.
5 > I suspect a similar situation with Gnome.
6
7 IIRC, GNOME only needs udev for auto-mount support. gvfs has a udev flag, disabling that might eliminate the need there. KDE has similar udev flags for things like pulseaudio.
8
9 For GNOME, I suspect swapping udev for mdev may be tricky, since GNOME uses a custom-build library (libudev) for all of its communications. If libudev can be tricked into listening to mdev instead, and isn't communicating in a way that mdev doesn't support, then GNOME should "just work".
10
11 --Mike