From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: top quotes, html mail, and binary jokes
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:21:33
1 Antoine schreef:
2 >>
3 >> Indeed, life is harder for those of us who don't have English as
4 >> first language.
5 >>
6 >>> kashani, still trying to get his German, Spanish, and Farsi up to
7 >>> speed
8 >
9 > Can you imagine how hard it is to learn another language when
10 > everyone wants to speak English to you?
11
12 We used to complain about this *all the time* at Taalschool (the
13 year-long Dutch as A Second Language course that is required by the
14 government as part of the conditions for granting a Permit of Stay).
15
16 Many of us lived with Dutch people (certainly those of us who were in
17 the country because we were married to one), and of course that means
18 family and neighbors and other contacts who were native Dutch
19 speakers... but we found it universally difficult to get said native
20 speakers to help us by speaking Dutch (preferably slowly), or (heaven
21 forfend) helping us with our homework and the like, because they all
22 wanted to improve or show off their English/Russian/French. Of
23 course it's tiring for everyone, trying to have a conversation and
24 having the subject under discussion interrupted by constant grammatical
25 correction, and it's not really helpful to hold said conversations in
26 the "other" language for purposes of clarity, but often necessary when
27 new to the second language. But it was clear to us that the amount of
28 practice time we were getting from our 'aces in the
29 hole' was far less than could be explained by those excuses.
30
31 We all found it very frustrating. Of course, now that I have a fair
32 working knowledge of Dutch, my personal Dutchman helps me a lot more.
33 Can't say I don't appreciate it, but I could have used the help more two
34 years ago.
35
36 I suspect that this expectation of (to my mind, rather excessive)
37 self-reliance is common across Europe, though the Dutch may be a bit
38 stricter about it than other European cutural groups.
39
40 So once you get over the 'novelty hump', it should get better :-) .
41
42 Holly
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list