From: Antoine <melser.anton@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: top quotes, html mail, and binary jokes
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:38:52
1 >> And while I'm being talkative I'd like to second what Holly and a few
2 >>others have hinted at. Command of language is essential. As someone who
3 >>stumbled into the admin/network business nine years ago I can say that my
4 >>writing and language skills, specifically the lack of either, did far more to
5 >>hold my career back than any missing technical skills.
8 > Indeed, life is harder for those of us who don't have English as first
9 > language.
10 >
11 >>kashani, still trying to get his German, Spanish, and Farsi up to speed
12
13 In a way I am glad to have English as a native language but in others
14 most decidedly not. Can you imagine how hard it is to learn another
15 language when everyone wants to speak English to you? I even speak a
16 bastard dialect (linguisticly one of the "purest" but where have the
17 "standards" gone!) and that doesn't help... I speak a few languages and
18 am pretty good at accents (by far the best way to get people to forget
19 you are a foreigner) but still get frustrated with the eagerness with
20 which people switch to English with me. My philosophy has always been
21 when in Rome but anyway... I guess Rome is now the internet.
22 Salem,
23 Antoine
24 ps. I have just started Arabic - Sabah lkhair! It's not morning but
25 unfortunately the Al-Jazeerah website seems to only stream... wma!
26 (Haven't got to evening yet!) argh! and gentoo+mplayer/xine doesn't like
27 it... and I thought it was a "libre" thinking news source!
28 pps. any hints on getting al-jazeera (audio of their news channel) to work?
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list