From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Git equivalent of pg_dumpall?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 01:43:57
1 On 09/04/2015 06:32 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 09/04/2015 01:09 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> Similar to the recent thread on cloning...
5 >>>
6 >>> I don't know and have never even used Git, but I need to get a complete
7 >>> and total backup of an entire Git repository
8 >
9 > I'd definitely recommend using "git bundle" for this.
10
11 For a "complete and total backup" my money's on tar. Using `git bundle`
12 is a nice way to package "commitish" things like commits, tags, and
13 branches, but there's a lot it will lose: stashed files, uncommitted
14 files, local repo configuration, and all hooks.
15
16 Those can be especially important dealing with outsourced developers who
17 do all sorts of goofy things they shouldn't do.