From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Git equivalent of pg_dumpall?
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 01:48:50
1 On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/04/2015 06:32 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On 09/04/2015 01:09 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
5 >>>> Similar to the recent thread on cloning...
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I don't know and have never even used Git, but I need to get a complete
8 >>>> and total backup of an entire Git repository
9 >>
10 >> I'd definitely recommend using "git bundle" for this.
11 >
12 > For a "complete and total backup" my money's on tar. Using `git bundle`
13 > is a nice way to package "commitish" things like commits, tags, and
14 > branches, but there's a lot it will lose: stashed files, uncommitted
15 > files, local repo configuration, and all hooks.
16 >
17 > Those can be especially important dealing with outsourced developers who
18 > do all sorts of goofy things they shouldn't do.
22 Good point. A git bundle will store everything that would end up on a
23 remote repository if you did a push. That is a pretty good way of
24 looking at it.
25
26 I'd still recommend a git bundle all the same, but you should give
27 thought to the purpose of serializing your repository and use the
28 right tool.
31 Rich