From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend2 issues
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:48:04
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 >On 2/23/06, Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>I'm suspending from X, using the klaptop application. I'm using the
7 >>vesa driver for an intel video card.
11 >The vesa driver is pretty much the driver-of-last-resort. I would
12 >_not_ expect proper power management support from this.
13 >
14 >Try the i810 driver instead, it should have support for intel
15 >integrated graphics.
19 I'm not all suprised that you'd say that, really. I tried the i810
20 driver and it wouldn't work. That's why I'm using the vesa driver. I
21 tried downloading the graphics driver for the video card from intel's
22 website, there was an rpm and a tarball. The rpm wouldn't install and
23 the tarball wouldn't compile. I using the drivers in the kernel but
24 those didn't work either. X just wouldn't start with it. X reports the
25 video card to be an Intel 915GM/910ML/915MS Graphics Controllor. From
26 what I've read, the i810 driver is supposed to work with that card, but
27 apparently it doesn't. Maybe you have some suggestions?
28
29 >>dmesg just says something about 'error -2' and ACPI when I try to remove
30 >>and reload the module. I can try it and give you exactly what it says
31 >>if you need me to.
35 >Yes. The ACPI messages are probably not important, but if you are
36 >getting an error unloading or reloading the module, then that is a
37 >problem. My initial guess is probably something about firmware....
38 >
39 >I would suggest emerging and using the hibernate script
40 >(sys-power/hibernate-script). It allows a great deal of
41 >customization, including restarting services, reloading of modules,
42 >etc in response to suspend-to-ram or suspend-to-disk operations.
43 >
44 >-Richard
48 I have the hibernate script installed already, but I haven't really
49 messed with that. I'll check it out and see if I can get something to
50 work. I've just been mostly concerned about the suspend to ram function
51 than the hibernate function.
52
53 Thanks for the help!
54