From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HD 630?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 21:45:19
1 On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > * Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> [170327 18:04]:
3 >> This may be a stupid question, for one of two possible reasons, but
4 >> here it goes:
5 >>
6 >> I'm thinking of buying a recent Intel CPU (7th generation, in
7 >> saleslang), say an i5-7400, and it came to mind, not too late yet,
8 >> that the integrated GPU may not be supported in linux. I'm talking
9 >> about the latest kernels, not necessarily the gentoo-packaged one.
10 >> Anyone knows something about it? And if not supported, is it likely
11 >> that it will be sometime soon? I can use a spare Radeon card
12 >> meanwhile...
13 >>
14 >> (And, for someone who is not a gamer, is a 7th generation CPU worth it
15 >> at all, as opposed to a 6th generation one?)
16 >>
17 >> Any input is appreciated
18 >>
19 >> Jorge Almeida
20 >
21 > Not a stupid question, but also not a concern in my opinion.
22 >
23 > I've built a number of desktop machines using Intel i7 (mostly) CPUs
24 > with integrated GPU and all have been supported well in my
25 > gentoo-sources kernels.
26 >
27 > I find Intel GPU support "just works" far more often than AMD or nVidia.
28 >
29 > Of course for heavy duty gaming then those go into a machine.
30 >
31 > But the Intel machines seem to have decent support for "lite" gaming
32 > (though certainly not "heavy duty")
33 >
34 > Todd
37 The iGPU on my i4770K performs much better than I ever expected.
38 Playing Minecraft with a large number of mods is a decent stress test
39 of both CPU and GPU capacity and it seems to be able to max out the
40 settings like a graphics card might. I'm not entirely sure there are
41 programs or games that run natively on Linux that can exceed the
42 capabilities of an iGPU, save GPGPU libraries or CAD software.