From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HD 630?
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 12:46:24
1 * Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> [170327 18:04]:
2 > This may be a stupid question, for one of two possible reasons, but
3 > here it goes:
4 >
5 > I'm thinking of buying a recent Intel CPU (7th generation, in
6 > saleslang), say an i5-7400, and it came to mind, not too late yet,
7 > that the integrated GPU may not be supported in linux. I'm talking
8 > about the latest kernels, not necessarily the gentoo-packaged one.
9 > Anyone knows something about it? And if not supported, is it likely
10 > that it will be sometime soon? I can use a spare Radeon card
11 > meanwhile...
12 >
13 > (And, for someone who is not a gamer, is a 7th generation CPU worth it
14 > at all, as opposed to a 6th generation one?)
15 >
16 > Any input is appreciated
17 >
18 > Jorge Almeida
19
20 Not a stupid question, but also not a concern in my opinion.
21
22 I've built a number of desktop machines using Intel i7 (mostly) CPUs
23 with integrated GPU and all have been supported well in my
24 gentoo-sources kernels.
25
26 I find Intel GPU support "just works" far more often than AMD or nVidia.
27
28 Of course for heavy duty gaming then those go into a machine.
29
30 But the Intel machines seem to have decent support for "lite" gaming
31 (though certainly not "heavy duty")
32
33 Todd