From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LINGUAS, L10N, and local-gen
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 17:20:43
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:18:00 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I started out on this thread helping the OP get his set up
6 >> correctly. Why make someone else use trial and error like I did when
7 >> all I had to do was post
8 > Refraining from posting would *not* have forced the OP to use trial and
9 > error, as there are plenty of people here on the list who *do*
10 > understand the news item.
11
12 True but I've seen posts where no one responds with a fix as well. I do
13 try to help people whenever I can just like I would hope a person would
14 do and has done for me.
15
16 >> what worked here and see if that worked for them too?
17 > Your initial post to the thread did not include what works for you
18 > and did nothing to help the OP; you posted what actually works for you
19 > only after the OP had already thanked Alan, who had understood the
20 > issue and helped him (and you, AFAICT) get things straight.
21 >
22 > None of this is a very big deal, and I hope I didn't come across as too
23 > harsh. It's just that in almost all cases, it's more helpful to wait
24 > until someone who does understand posts than to jump in to help with
25 > something one doesn't understand.
29 Actually, I posted the first reply to this thread. The OP posted at
30 about 9:06AM. I replied at about 9:54AM. Alan posted his first reply
31 at 10:31AM. My first reply included this:
32
33 > After it was all done, this is what I ended up with:
34 >
35 > LINGUAS="en_US en"
36 >
37 > I left the LANG setting as is for the moment.
38
39 So, you either missed my first reply or didn't understand what I
40 included in it. Which would be ironic wouldn't it?
41
42 Here's the deal. If someone posts and I have something that works, I'm
43 going to post it. If it helps, fine. If it doesn't then others can
44 post what works for them or explain what is what on it. After all, we
45 are ALL here to try and help each other. What one person does may or
46 may not work for another. Still, we share just the same.
47
48 Dale
49