From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transcoding movie DVD to MPEG4?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:17:13
1 On 3 Dec 2006, at 13:28, Mick wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I thought that K3B and a double layer blank DVD+R is all I need to
4 > burn an iso
5 > image of the DVD. After two expensive coasters (see other recent
6 > topic) I
7 > came to the conclusion that the combination of
8 > K3B/Phillips-DVD8421/Imation-DVD+R DL will just not work....
9
10 I've never used K3B myself, but its site is not clear whether it
11 handles the DeCSS part of the DVD rip.
12
13 CSS is the system used to region-restrict DVDs, and AFAICT it works
14 by encrypting the files on the disk against a key stored in a special
15 part of the DVD's header. This "header" part of the DVD is not
16 writable by normal DVD-burners (I have heard that "authoring" DVD-
17 burners which support it cost several thousand pounds), so a
18 "bitwise" copy of a DVD cannot be decrypted (because the key is
19 missing).
20
21 As I understand it, in order to copy DVD movies one must first make a
22 copy of the DVD's files - with the region-encoding removed - onto
23 hard-disk, then burn this as a new DVD "compilation". The result is
24 an R0 disk which should play fine in any standard player.
25
26 Stroller.
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list