From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Transcoding movie DVD to MPEG4?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:43:20
1 On 2006-12-03, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > I've never used K3B myself, but its site is not clear whether it
4 > handles the DeCSS part of the DVD rip.
5
6 I've never used K3B either. If I want to make an exact
7 (decrypted, dereionalize) copy, I just do this:
8
9 $ dvdbackup -M -i /dev/sr0 -o dvds
10 <remove original DVD, replace with blank double-layer>
11 $ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0 -dvd-video dvds/<TITLENAME>
12
13 > CSS is the system used to region-restrict DVDs, and AFAICT it
14 > works by encrypting the files on the disk against a key stored
15 > in a special part of the DVD's header. This "header" part of
16 > the DVD is not writable by normal DVD-burners (I have heard
17 > that "authoring" DVD- burners which support it cost several
18 > thousand pounds), so a "bitwise" copy of a DVD cannot be
19 > decrypted (because the key is missing).
20 >
21 > As I understand it, in order to copy DVD movies one must first
22 > make a copy of the DVD's files - with the region-encoding
23 > removed - onto hard-disk, then burn this as a new DVD
24 > "compilation". The result is an R0 disk which should play fine
25 > in any standard player.
26
27 Exactly. The dvdbackup/growisofs method works fine for making
28 same-size copies.
31 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Then, it's off to
32 at RED CHINA!!
33 visi.com
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list