From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openoffice emerge failing
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 09:13:40
1 On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Michael P. Soulier
2 <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
3 > On 20/11/08 Michael P. Soulier said:
4 >> On 20/11/08 Redouane Boumghar said:
5 >> > SO please check how much available memory you have
6 >>
7 >> I have 1Gig in this system, and I'm planning to add more.
8 >
9 > So, I killed firefox to free up memory and let it build overnight. The build
10 > completed successfully. Perhaps it was a memory issue.
11 >
12 > I'm starting to think that ebuilds need available memory requirements. Don't
13 > build this without 1Gig of free memory, etc...
14
15 There is this in the Openoffice ebuild
16 # Check if we have enough RAM and free diskspace to build this beast
17 CHECKREQS_MEMORY="512"
18 use debug && CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="8192" || CHECKREQS_DISK_BUILD="5120"
19 check_reqs
20
21 I have one observation and one doubt
22 Observation: more packages should have warnings against this. GCC 4.3
23 needs more than 1.5GiB of disk space to build, at least with the USE
24 flags fortran gcj gtk mudflap openmp.
25
26 Doubt: don't you have enough swap? Does Openoffice need so much memory
27 that even with swap it failed?