From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for a minimalist image viewer / organizer
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:51:41
1 On 1/15/07, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 1/16/07, Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Hello,
5 > >
6 > > Browsing getoo-wiki.com for an image viewer, I only found Gthumb, which
7 > > depends on GNOME. I use Fluxbox because I have an older computer and
8 > would
9 > > like to keep dependencies at a minimum. Any suggestions? I only need a
10 > > viewer; organising my pictures is not a plus. No exotic formats, just
11 > jpeg,
12 > > gif and the usual.
13 > >
14 > > Thanks in advance,
15 > > Vlad
18 > Tools i usually rely on are
19 > * feh : uses imlib ( brags to be the fastest ) , very lightweight in
20 > use, but an insane collection of features if you read the man pages to
21 > see the extra tricks it can perform
22 > * gliv :uses opengl and gtk , making it awesome for viewing some of
23 > those larger images using the fast and quality scaling algos of your
24 > GPU
25 > *fbi : ( media-gfx/fbida) which is great for viewing images when you
26 > cant be bothered cracking open X
27 > * anytopnm + aview : for days your feeling geeky and need to display
28 > images in a textual representation ( black and white )
29 > * cacaview : for days you want to demostrate how much free time geeks
30 > have and nothing else feels like working cos your stuck on a windows
31 > box with PUTTY.
34 Hi Kent,
35
36 I'm definitely keeping this list for later use, thanks a lot for your input.
37
38 Vlad