From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: X-Forwarding over wireless
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:38:12
1 On 2007-02-22, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> >> I wonder if I need more power on the machine running the apps instead
3 >> >> of more bandwidth. It has 512MB and I do need to upgrade that, but it
4 >> >> feels like a bandwidth problem when I'm running vmware via
5 >> >> X-Forwarding.
6 >> >>
7 >> >
8 >> > Could be bandwidth.
9 >>
10 >> More likely it's latency. Most "modern" X apps seem to require
11 >> a lot of round-trips between client and server. The latency of
12 >> a Wifi link is probably 10-100X that of a wired Ethernet link,
13 >> even if the bandwidth is the same: A 54M Wifi link may
14 >> actually have more bandwidth than a 10M wired Ethernet link,
15 >> but the lower latancy of the wired link will result in
16 >> better performance for some classes of applications.
17 >
18 > Do you think vnc or nx would be a significant improvement over
19 > x-forwarding?
20
21 I've never directly compared the them, but I've seen posts by
22 others saying they've have had better luck with vnc or nx on
23 high latency links.
26 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I am having FUN... I
27 at wonder if it's NET FUN or
28 visi.com GROSS FUN?
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list