From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X-Forwarding over wireless
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:14:26
1 > >> I wonder if I need more power on the machine running the apps instead
2 > >> of more bandwidth. It has 512MB and I do need to upgrade that, but it
3 > >> feels like a bandwidth problem when I'm running vmware via
4 > >> X-Forwarding.
5 > >>
6 > >
7 > > Could be bandwidth.
8 >
9 > More likely it's latency. Most "modern" X apps seem to require
10 > a lot of round-trips between client and server. The latency of
11 > a Wifi link is probably 10-100X that of a wired Ethernet link,
12 > even if the bandwidth is the same: A 54M Wifi link may
13 > actually have more bandwidth than a 10M wired Ethernet link,
14 > but the lower latancy of the wired link will result in
15 > better performance for some classes of applications.
16
17 Do you think vnc or nx would be a significant improvement over x-forwarding?
18
19 - Grant
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list