From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: X-Forwarding over wireless
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:02:30
1 On 2007-02-22, Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 05:06 -0800, Grant wrote:
3 >> I wonder if I need more power on the machine running the apps instead
4 >> of more bandwidth. It has 512MB and I do need to upgrade that, but it
5 >> feels like a bandwidth problem when I'm running vmware via
6 >> X-Forwarding.
9 > Could be bandwidth.
10
11 More likely it's latency. Most "modern" X apps seem to require
12 a lot of round-trips between client and server. The latency of
13 a Wifi link is probably 10-100X that of a wired Ethernet link,
14 even if the bandwidth is the same: A 54M Wifi link may
15 actually have more bandwidth than a 10M wired Ethernet link,
16 but the lower latancy of the wired link will result in
17 better performance for some classes of applications.
20 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm continually
21 at AMAZED at th'breathtaking
22 visi.com effects of WIND EROSION!!
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list