From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X-Forwarding over wireless
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:50:13
1 On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 05:06 -0800, Grant wrote:
2 > I wonder if I need more power on the machine running the apps instead
3 > of more bandwidth. It has 512MB and I do need to upgrade that, but it
4 > feels like a bandwidth problem when I'm running vmware via
5 > X-Forwarding.
8 Could be bandwidth. Wifi, as you know is relatively slow. Even if you
9 have 802.11G which is "rated" for 54Mbps you never actually get 54MBbps.
10 If you run an access point in hybrid b/g mode, that slows it down even
11 more. If you have WEP/WPA encryption that slows it down even more. If
12 you tunnel through ssh encryption that slows it down even more. Add
13 that to the fact that wireless connections are notoriously unreliable
14 and your typical X11 app is *very* chatty then I would not expect
15 gigabit-ethernet performance.
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list