From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X-Forwarding over wireless
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:37:06
1 On 22 February 2007 17:05, Grant wrote:
2 > > >> I wonder if I need more power on the machine running the apps instead
3 > > >> of more bandwidth. It has 512MB and I do need to upgrade that, but it
4 > > >> feels like a bandwidth problem when I'm running vmware via
5 > > >> X-Forwarding.
6 > > >
7 > > > Could be bandwidth.
8 > >
9 > > More likely it's latency. Most "modern" X apps seem to require
10 > > a lot of round-trips between client and server. The latency of
11 > > a Wifi link is probably 10-100X that of a wired Ethernet link,
12 > > even if the bandwidth is the same: A 54M Wifi link may
13 > > actually have more bandwidth than a 10M wired Ethernet link,
14 > > but the lower latancy of the wired link will result in
15 > > better performance for some classes of applications.
16 >
17 > Do you think vnc or nx would be a significant improvement over
18 > x-forwarding?
19
20 nx definitely would. I saw a whole KDE session over an ISDN link - and it felt
21 like local.
22
23 Uwe
26 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
27 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
28 Proof of concept of a TSP solver for KDE:
29 http://www.SysEx.com.na/epat-0.1.tar.bz2
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list