From: Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT worth upgrading hardware ?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:46
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have a PIII 700Mhz, 256MB RAM, Finances are somewhat tight (read that
4 as very tight) but I could do with some more speed when playing with
5 python scripts + KDE can be a tad sluggish.
6
7 The processor is going to have to be either a ...
8
9 Intel Celeron 2.4GHz 128K 400MHz Socket 478 CPU OEM - 512MB RAM
10 AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0GHz (333FSB) 256K Cache Socket A OEM - 512 MB RAM
11
12 The GHz sound impressive but I know neither chip is a very powerful, I
13 believe they 'water down' the internals !. I cant find anywhere a
14 comparison between my PIII & these two possibilitys.
15
16 My PIII is old technology, these two are newer technology with faster
17 clock speeds but engineered to a price, would the speed increase be
18 noticeable ? Any comments ?
19
20 Dave
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list