From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dispatch-conf problem
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:04:19
1 on Thursday 01/01/2009 Nikos Chantziaras(realnc@×××××.de) wrote
2 > John covici wrote:
3 >
4 > > Also, if I want to roll back, say, /etc/init.d/fsck, I am not sure
5 > > which file to choose -- in the archive directory there is an
6 > > /etc/init.d directory which contains fsck and fsck.dist. I would
7 > > imagine that fsck is my old one and fsck.dist is the new one -- now
8 > > what happens if this file is updated again?
9 >
10 > No, that is not how it works. New files have the prefix "._" (as is
11 > also reported by dispatch-conf.)
12 >
13 > ".dist" is usually a file that is bundled with the upstream tarball. It
14 > usually serves as an example.
15 >
16 > You cannot roll back if you choose to keep the new file with
17 > dispatch-conf and didn't backup the current one first.
18 >
19 Then what is the purpose of the config-archive directory which I was
20 asked to create?
24 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
25 How do
26 you spend it?
27
28 John Covici