From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updates = slow firefox
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:51:37
1 >> Strangely, now my laptop's brightness adjustment doesn't work via the
2 >> keyboard shortcuts.  Any ideas on that?
3 >>
4 >> - Grant
5 >>
6 > Please share the beast model :P (or maybe ive missed it).
7 > in kernel config You have multiple option for backlight eg. for thinkpad
8 > there is extra one in "thinkpad specific acpi" maybe You have something
9 > similar for Yours stuff.
10
11 It's a Dell Vostro 1320. The keyboard shortcuts to change brightness
12 were working great until I enabled DRM in the kernel. Can you tell me
13 where in the kernel those options can be found, or part of the
14 variable name that defines them?
15
16 > And (its only my private opinion - could base on wrong facts :P) dont be
17 > used to hal because the 1.8 xorg-server dont like it any more,
18 > preferring udev, and future versions wouldn't probably support hal at
19 > all.
20 >
21 > Lately i delete hal USE and now iam using udev - excepting auto mounting
22 > usb stick etc.
23
24 Can anyone confirm that as users we should be moving away from hal?
25
26 - Grant