From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install issue
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 23:27:53
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:09 on Monday 30 May 2011, Colleen Beamer
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > > Colleen, you should follow the tip you found on Google to fix this. What
5 > > stage
6 > > 3 did you download and use?
7 >
8 > Actually, I used the most recent one - I think May 26th, However, my first
9 > install (that I screwed up on was the May 25th one, but I got the same
10 > message. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I used a tarball for
11 > x86.
12
13 I'm not sure how the stages are built. it might be a hand-crafted list of
14 stuffs, or maybe it's a script that builds the (mostly) same thing for each
15 arch.
16
17 I reckon the latter, in which case x86 and amd64 will probably give similar
18 results.
19
20 > Think I'll try the fix that I found on google first before attempting to
21 > find a stage 3 tarball that is not faulty.
22
23 The google fix will work. Really, trust me, I'm a sysadmin :-)
24
25 It's just a missing file that the install process should have made. You simply
26 need to make it manually.
27
28 > BTW, I can't recall from previous installs when I'm supposed to do this,
29 > but I thought that baselayout got emerged somewhere during the install
30 > prior to rebooting. There was no place in the handbook that mentioned
31 > installing baselayout ...... and yes, I did read the news item about
32 > baselayout2 and openrc migration.
33
34 The initial stage contains baselayout already, it's one of those things that
35 is absolutely needed for a gentoo system to even exist at all. All a stage
36 really is, is a large archive of an actual install with all it's various bits
37 - files, dirs, and the matching entries in portage's database of things
38 installed.
39
40 OK, it's not really built like that but the analogy will suffice. The end
41 result is the same and portage cannot tell the difference between baselayout
42 coming out of the stage and you installing it yourself.
43
44 The only time you install baselayout during an install is when you update
45 world and there's a newer baselayout available than the one in the stage.
46 That's true for almost every package in portage (except kernel sources, those
47 are special)
51 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com